Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Ravens

Last summer Peter and I traveled to one of our favorite annual rituals, BroFest. It takes place every summer in Lake Oswego in honor of all of my brothers; but mainly to celebrate the two August birthdays of Randy and Anthony. Brother Lindsy’s normally fabulous yard turns outright magical as siblings pitch-in (go sisters!) to transform this botanical wonder into Midsummer’s Faerie Land. As usual, a great time was had by all with great friends, family, food and music.

The main event is a one-nighter but family and close friends meet before and linger for days after. All are invited so note to "kids and others" … call me to find out the date of this year’s celebration!

Anyway, as we journeyed home reveling in the great company and time had by all, I received a most special gift. Somewhere north of the Tri-Cities I got a chance to see something I had been hoping to see ever since hearing of their existence. Standing side by side on the right side of the road were two ravens, one black and one white! It took me a moment to realize what I was seeing. It was amazing, gave me chills.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cool. I never knew they were white too. We have so many crows right now, because of the pecan trees are dropping the nuts. I will have to watch for any that might be among the black masses.

♥Miya said...

Coolest thing EVER. Those guys are rare, I'm so jealous you saw one!

Kathy said...

A few years ago someone here told me that one had been seen locally awhile back and I was always on the alert but never got to see it. Before this conversation I didn't know they existed. Occasionally you can see an albino of just about any species. The one I saw wasn't an albino as its eyes were black. These are very rare but apparently there are a few of them on Vancouver Island. The western coast of Canada also has some white black bears.
I do feel extremely blessed.

Yancy said...

that's really cool mom! Thanks for sharing.

Is that a picture of the one you saw, or is that a picture you found online to use for the post? (just wondering)

Kathy said...

Just a picture I found of the Vancouver Clan. You can see part of another one on the right side of the frame. The one I saw was just standing on my side of the highway eating something with his usual colored companion. He looked at me when we went by. That's how I knew it wasn't an albino or a pidgeon! I just turned to Peter and said "Did you see that?!" And for the next few minutes he listened to my ecstatic detonation of verbosity!

Lucie said...

I remember you telling me about the lady who saw a local white raven. For weeks afterward, my eyes were peeled toward the skies, hoping that I'd see him, but no such luck. That's so amazing that you finally found one though, it must have been so special!

Kathy said...

Yeah, for awhile every seagull seen from a distance over at the high school was suspect for me!