Thursday, February 5, 2009

Auroras

Many years ago while living in Summit Valley I made a midnight excursion to a room on the north side of the house. I noticed that the sky seemed very bright out the large octagon window facing the forest that was just north of the house. In that area of the country there are no street lights and we had no visible neighbors so I was at first a bit puzzled since it wasn't near dawn yet. The glow was green tinged and it really didn't take me too long to figure out it must be the northern lights.

No one was interested in traipsing out into the cold winter night to have a look so I went out on my own.

Now, I have seen these light shows before, but nothing yet had prepared me for what I was about to experience. I moved several yards down the road to get a view unobstructed by the house or forest. The force of the spectacle dancing above me almost took me to my knees. It was so bright and undulating so swiftly that I was a little frightened. I suddenly wondered what the animals must think when the sky flashes and moves this way. As I stood in absolute awe I realized there was sound coming from the sky. I could hear ringing and a muted crackling sound that increased with the brilliance above me. The sound moved across the sky with each flash! I lingered outside until I was near frozen just for the pure joy of the experience. When I went to bed I couldn't sleep. Turning so my head was at the foot of the bed I had a great view of the southern remnants shooting across the valley and could still watch until I finally drifted off to sleep thanking God for this night.

The next day while relating the experience, I was informed by more than one person that Aurora Borealis does not make any noise......so I have not spoken of that since.....until now. It does make sounds; at least I heard it anyway.

I found this beautiful video of the Aurora Borealis that I want to share. There are lots of still photos that I have seen but this is the first video I have ever seen. I really enjoyed it.

6 comments:

♥Miya said...

For some reason as I started reading this, I thought it was going to turn out like the Tommyknockers and you were going to stumble across aliens and whatnot :P

I told Roy and I want to live a ways out of town when we build our house so we can get a clear view of the night sky :)

Lucie said...

Wow, you have such amazing stories to tell! I hope that wonderful things like this will happen to me, so that I can share them with others when I'm older.

By the way, was the scratching sound on the video anything like what you heard that night, or was that just the quality of the video?

Shawna said...

Gorgeous video...I remember we were driving home from Katie and Gary's place one night and seeing the sky light up with the Northern Lights....absolutely amazing. Makes me wish I lived further north so I could see them again!

Unknown said...

I saw the northern lights a few times living n Washington. One time was in Orient in the summer, and the other I can't remember where I was. But I know the feeling of awe. To have a memory of something that you by yourself get to see in your life and you want to share is awesome. I always wish that some could have been shared at the time of experience.

Kathy said...

Miya,
I can see how you might think that. It's taking awhile to get that image of culvert clowns out of my mind (Thank you very much). And I did start out rather mysteriously.

Living on the edge of town with everything in walking distance is so convenient. We have seen the northern lights here, can watch the space station when it passes and see a lot of wildlife. But with light pollution and the ambient noise of even a small town somethings are lost from the experience.

Lucie,
The sound had a similarity to it but I think its most likely the wind in the microphone.

One of the biggest elements in having great adventures is time. Your mother is OLD!

I love the way you pay attention to what's going on around you; your interest in nature & animals, your appreciation for the simple things and for your curiosity. Add these to time and you will have great stories to tell.

Shawna,
I wish you lived closer too!
I have spent some time living in the high desert on the eastern slopes of the Sierras. There are some things you can only see in such places and they have a unique beauty all their own. We are blessed to live in a country with such vast environments that a person can have so many lives in one. Even if you never leave Utah, think of all the places you have known. For a kid starting out in Southern California you've almost gone full oval!

Kris,
There's something to be said for a lone experience like this. No other voices distracting from complete absorption. But your right, my greatest emotion was the sadness of no one to share it with.

Yancy said...

I've always wanted to see the northern lights.

Really cool video, mom. Thanks for sharing.