Sunday, April 26, 2009

Art of Work


In the daily grind of one’s labor it’s easy to fall into habitual grumbling and daydream, “What do I really want to do for a living?”
Like so many others, I feel very fortunate for my job during these times. I do, however, feel thankful for more reasons than the current economy. In the course of my workday I am allowed quite a bit of creative license. Part of my work consists of applying casts and splints to injured and broken bodies. Patients often tell me it looks like I enjoy my work and my usual response is, “Yes, it’s just like sculpting; no two are ever the same.” Everyone’s contours and injuries are uniquely theirs.
When time passes and they return for the great unveiling of God’s creation of healing, I am amazed how some people have used my cast as a canvas for their own art. It’s often with a bit of sadness that I destroy this art by the means of removal.

Oh, yeah…we’ve been getting the firewood in early this year. The old “Heating with wood warms you twice” motto isn’t so appealing when the first warming is in the summer.

4 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

This is, by far, one of my favorite posts you've written. I believe that you're right...it's all about our attitude toward the task we have to accomplish.

Your quote about being warmed by firewood reminds me of grandpa. I was just thinking the other day about him and how he'd always say, "Firewood warms you twice; once when you cut and stack it, and once when you burn it."

Kathy said...

I guess that's where I learned it. Gathering firewood has been a family tradition for us since the sixties. I can't think of a place where we didn't have a wood stove from here to Missouri and back.
Thanks

Unknown said...

I love how that wood is stacked. I always loved the smell too!

Kathy said...

So do I. When we lived in the Ozarks we burned hardwood because that's what grows there. It seemed so decadent to smell oak and maple burning. When you cut into sassafras it smells so good. The wood room smelled just like licorice and root beer!